Position as Industrial PhD student in Informatics with a specialization in data science within the premium and luxury fashion and retail industry
Eton, founded in 1928, is world leading in the market for premium and luxury men’s shirts and accessories. The products are sold in an own online flagship store and Eton Brand Stores in some of the world’s largest metropolitan areas, as well as the most prominent department stores, independent retailers and e-tailers. Eton has a total of 1,500 points of sales in over 50 markets around the world, where North America is the biggest market. The headquarter is located in Gånghester, Borås. More information about Eton can be found at etonshirts.com
As an industrial graduate student in INSiDR you will be employed by Eton. In addition, you will be admitted to the PhD study programme in Informatics at Jönköping University.
During the five years of PhD education, you will spend 80% of your working time on dissertation work, such as:
- Planning and conducting research work
- Analysing, writing and publishing scientific papers in high quality journals
- Participating in research level courses
- Participating in national and international conferences and workshops
- Organizing and writing the PhD thesis
Global retail in general, and hence Eton, is currently in a disruptive transformation driven by rapid digitalization, entailing both increased online sales and a new retail landscape with new retailers like global e-tailers and marketplaces, but also a new marketing landscape with social media and programmatic marketing. This requires a producing legacy brand like Eton to become fully consumer oriented and assume control of all aspects of business and marketing, i.e. end-to-end all the way to the consumer, both in our own direct channels, but also in strategic partnerships with re-sellers.
The PhD project that you will undertake focuses on how data-driven solutions for automated decision support can be utilized in, and help to manage, the digital transformation in the premium and luxury fashion industry. An important objective is to use big data and advanced analytics to optimize and drive sales across all channels, increase customer satisfaction and realize corporate commercial strategies. Examples of problems that the project will address are:
- Based on our consumers, their preferences and fashion trends, which styles should be designed and how can the assortment be optimized?
- How can Eton optimize the assortment in each channel, i.e. have the right products, at the right place at the right time? Which actions need to be taken?
- In our online store, how can we recommend the right product to the right consumer at the right time, based on consumer needs and preferences?
Technically, the project will employ algorithms and methods from data science, typically big data, machine learning and artificial intelligence. Typical task will be hands-on analyses on large volumes of transaction and customer level data and complex data structures; manipulating and cleansing data, performing statistical analysis and developing decision support solutions. A crucial aspect of the project is that all data analysis is performed in a business context, where other non-quantitative factors like relationships, experience and perception need to be considered, to ensure that solutions have the desired impact, in addition to theoretical value.You will thus be strategically placed within Eton, with possibilities to influence business development and make a real difference, as part of our growing team.
The remaining 20% of your time will be spent on work at Eton, related to your PhD project. This includes:
- an active role in development and set-up of the big data cloud based strategy, ensuring that all valuable data needed for the analysis are stored in a structured way
- integrating the solutions into the existing digital sales systems at Eton
- validating, optimizing and measuring the sales impact, including live testing of solutions
In addition, you will play an important part in developing new ways of working, i.e. designing the target organization needed to realize the full potential of the new digital solutions. Finally, you will communicate your results within the organization, making sure that your thesis project is well-aligned with the other strategies and ongoing development projects.
The core formal qualifications needed for the position are to fulfil the requirements for admission to doctoral studies at Jönköping International Business School. These requirements consists of passed examination at advanced (masters/second) level and fulfilled course requirements of at least 240 credit points (ECTS credits), 60 of which should be at advanced level, or equivalent competences acquired in some other way within or outside of Sweden. Requirements also include a Bachelor degree, consisting of at least 90 credit points (ECTS credits, 3 terms) in a relevant subject area for the position. The doctoral programmes at JIBS are conducted in English. The applicant must show proof of fluency in English, both written and spoken. Please note that a Swedish 1-year master (magister) degree in a relevant subject is sufficient, provided that it also includes a bachelor degree diploma.
For this PhD project, the required core skills are:
- Solid educational background with excellent academic achievements in quantitative studies, within fields like data science, advanced analytics, machine learning/deep learning artificial intelligence, applied mathematics or related subjects
- Deep knowledge of probability theory and statistics
- Data processing, analysis and modelling tools like R, Python, Spark, SQL, SAS, Google Big Query or similar
- Excellence in programming
- Strong communication skills; ability to develop strong relationships with internal and external audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
In addition, the following skills are desirable:
- Solutions for distributed storage and processing of big data like Hadoop or similar
- Work experience in an analytical or quantitative business environment, where the equivalent combination of education, training and work experience will be meriting, e.g.
- Experience from roles like analyst, business development, developer, executive manager or similar are meriting
- Examples of industries are retail and/or eCommerce, fashion, management and/or technical consultant, IT services, tech start-ups etc.
- Data visualization tools like. Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, Domo or similar
- Web Analytics and intelligence tools like Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics, BrightEdge or similar.
- Experience in leading and executing projects and meeting deliverables
- Other valuable skills include enterprise architecture management, business process management, corporate finance and business analytics.
A candidate should possess intellectual curiosity and a genuine interest in data science and generating insights, but equally important is a passion for driving business and being entrepreneurial. You should have excellent analytical skill, be a strategic thinker and a creative problem solver. Also, you should have strong interpersonal credibility, reliability, and service mentality with high ethical standards. You must be prepared to take an active part in the transformation of Eton, and this entails working closely together with both business executives and digital management at the company.
Terms of Employment
The PhD position entails full-time employment at Eton, Borås, with an initial 2-year fixed-term contract, which will be converted to a permanent position, subject to sufficient progress of the PhD studies. In total, the PhD study time is limited to a maximum of five years.
As an industrial graduate student in INSiDR you will be required to attend PhD courses and workshops at both University of Borås and Jönköping University, in addition to your daily work at Eton.
Starting date: September 2018
Application and selection procedure
It is still possible to send in an application. All applications submitted after this date will be considered in order of submission, until all positions are filled.
Applications to the PhD project, and the associated position at Eton, should be uploaded via the application form
For questions about the PhD project, please contact the academic supervisor or Eton.
Supervisor contact: Ulf Seigerroth, Professor, School of Engineering,
Jönköping University, email@example.com
Eton contact: Erik Hedlund, firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions about INSiDR or the PhD studies, please contact:
Jenny Balkow, INSiDR Director of School, University of Borås,
email@example.com, +46 70 191 48 19
We decline contact with advertisers and staffing companies.